Friday, September 24, 2010

Fighting Disenchantment

I've been sick the past two days. In an effort to not pass along the virus to unsuspecting people, I've been under a self-imposed house arrest. Today is the first day I'm back at work. And strange as it is to say, I am *psyched* to be back.

I don't hate my job, and I don't love it. It is what it is: a means to get my bills paid. I fully appreciate the fact that I have a job at all, but that doesn't make me love it.

Being stuck at home means being stuck in my head. My mind is like a blocked up drain. All my thoughts are backed up. All my emotions are just sitting and festering. I obsess over things I normally don't give a second thought to, and I drive myself slowly insane. So, this morning, I woke up excited to go to work.

And I realized something: it's been a while since I've woken up excited for anything. I used to get excited over the tiniest thing: getting coffee with a friend, reading a good book, playing music, watching a movie, writing, seeing my crush, etc. When did I lose my excitement for life? How did I became so disenchanted?

So I've decided to *not* be disenchanted. To try to regain the genuine enthusiasm I used to have for everything by listing 5 things I'm grateful for. I go through this in my head every day, but maybe seeing it down in black and white will make it more memorable.

I am grateful for...

1) having a job
2) the beautiful weather today
3) getting over my cold
4) my family (even though we can drive each other crazy)
5) the safety of all my loved ones

I'm curious... what are some things you're grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment